By Raymond Hickey
- An authoritative reference paintings exploring the main matters within the box of language touch: the examine of ways language adjustments whilst audio system of exact speech types interact
- Brings jointly forty specially-commissioned essays through a global workforce of scholars
- Examines language touch in societies that have major immigration populations, and incorporates a attention-grabbing cross-section of case experiences drawing on languages around the world
- Accessibly dependent into sections exploring where of touch experiences inside linguistics as an entire; the worth of touch experiences for learn into language switch; and language touch within the context of labor on language and society
- Explores a extensive diversity of issues, making it a great source for either college and scholars throughout quite a few fields inside of linguistics
Read Online or Download The Handbook of Language Contact (Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics) PDF
Best linguistics books
The instruction manual of Language touch deals systematic assurance of the foremost concerns during this box – starting from the price of touch factors in linguistics, to the influence of immigration, to dialectology – combining new examine from a crew of worldwide well known students, with case stories of various languages.
Why can we converse the way in which we do? What are the social components that impact our offerings of expression? This best-selling advent to the research of language and society encourages scholars to consider those basic questions, asking how and why we make a choice from the tremendous diversity of other phrases, accents, forms and languages to be had to us.
Indian removing was once a method either actual and symbolic, complete not just at gunpoint but additionally via language. within the Midwest, white settlers got here to talk and write of Indians long ago demanding, even supposing they have been nonetheless current. profitable the West with phrases explores the methods nineteenth-century Anglo-Americans used language, rhetoric, and narrative to assert cultural possession of the zone that contains present-day Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.
We convey into complete gentle a few excerpts on musical topics that have been beforehand scattered through the most famed clinical texts. the most clinical and musical cultures outdoors of Europe also are considered. the 1st and most vital estate to underline within the medical texts tested this is the language they're written in.
- Deutsch im Sprachvergleich (Jahrbuch des Instituts für Deutsche Sprache) (German Edition)
- Screen Translation: Special Issue of The Translator (Volume 9/2, 2003) (Translator S)
- Discourse: A Critical Introduction (Key Topics in Sociolinguistics)
- The Development of Meaning (RLE Edu I): A Study of Children's Use of Language (Routledge Library Editions: Education)
Additional resources for The Handbook of Language Contact (Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics)
The Handbook of Language Contact (Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics) by Raymond Hickey