What if the mind could see that in the face of today, the past doesn’t matter, what matters is how we shape our today and free ourselves from the shackles of the past hurt, loss, anger, shame, embarrassment and everything that takes away our wholesomeness. What if we could shun all this and give birth to a more pleasant, more purposeful and hopeful present,at will?
If there is one thing the human race unanimously admires in this day and age, is the ability to overcome adversity. When we see it in others, we get re-inspired to rise above our own debilitating fear and angst and are able to focus ourselves on action.
So when we forge a more purposeful path from what may seem like the woods, a jungle of missteps, it starts shaping us into a more beautiful being. The further you move on, the woods appear smaller and smaller in the rear view. It is the new you, the one that has outgrown the usefulness of the previous mould, stronger because it is shaped from the trials and tribulations of the past, that renders confidence and credence in the people around you. It is the gemstone which has been cut and polished, it now shines it’s new found brilliance on others and makes them glow in turn.
You may think, that all this sounds very poetic but how does one actually do it. How to find the strength in that moment, right when we are plagued and weighed down by the thoughts of what has been, how to find the inspiration to lift that leaden foot and put it on a new clearing?
As someone, who has had to do it often, I have honed it into a fine strategy. Let me share my simple 5-step approach:
- I remind myself that my potential is limitless and the past doesn’t define me.
- For just a little while I compartmentalise my ‘pull-down’ thoughts and hold them at bay.
- I make a new clearing (read that for a new mental canvas) and set myself a goal, something that I would advise a friend to do if he/she were in that situation, something that will help me feel accomplished, and will make me feel back in control.
- When I put the very first step onto the new clearing, and I put my weight on it, I feel the power returning, my heart beginning to sprout with little shoots of joy and I feel the brilliance of a new sunrise, a new day and a new way.
- I then pat myself on the back for finding the strength and take the next step, and the next, however tentative it may feel at first. It may not be the Holy Grail yet but it is a forward movement towards my goals, towards creating purpose, to becoming relevant again.
And believe me, soon the woods almost disappear into the distance and what remains is a new, more joyful, more lively path right ahead of you, all lit up by your very own radiance.
I have learnt that when I search for my inner strength, sometime it may take a little longer to rise to its full force but exist it does. Just like the invisible potential of a tree in a little seed, all it needs is a little nurturing, a little loving, a coaxing and then it takes a life of its own.
Don’t take my word for it, go try it and I do not doubt, you will find the force within.