By David Seed
- This Companion conveys the size and diversity of technological know-how fiction.
- Shows how technological know-how fiction has been used as a way of debating cultural issues.
- Essays via a world diversity of students talk about the contexts, topics and strategies utilized by technological know-how fiction writers.
- Addresses normal themes, similar to the background and origins of the style, its engagement with technology and gender, and nationwide adaptations of technological know-how fiction round the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections among technological know-how fiction, tv, the cinema, digital fact know-how, and different points of the culture.
- Includes a piece targeting significant figures, comparable to H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers shut readings of specific novels, from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.
Read Online or Download A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Scandinavian ladies Writers offers brief tales written by means of the major girls writers of the final century. Their tales care for the typical difficulties of Scandinavian girls together with women's dependency on her husband, hypocrisy of the church, the women's suffrage stream, occupation and relatives, marriage difficulties, unwed motherhood, and divorce.
Realist imaginative and prescient explores the declare to symbolize the realm as it truly is. ” Peter Brooks takes a brand new examine the realist culture and its extreme curiosity within the visible. Discussing significant English and French novels and work from the 19th and 20th centuries, Brooks offers a full of life and perceptive view of the realist undertaking.
This quantity of specially-commissioned essays presents obtainable introductions to all facets of George Eliot's writing by means of the most amazing new and validated students and critics of Victorian literature. The essays are finished, scholarly and lucidly written, and while provide unique insights into the paintings of 1 of an important Victorian novelists, and into her advanced and infrequently scandalous occupation.
Emily Dickinson's poem, 'This is my letter to the area/ That by no means wrote to Me --', opens the creation, which makes a speciality of the near-anonymity of nineteenth-century ladies novelists. shut readings of works by way of 5 British novelists—Jane Austen, Charlotte and Emily Brontë, Elizabeth Gaskell, and George Eliot—offer persuasive money owed of the ways that girls used stealth strategies to outmaneuver their detractors.
- The characters April and Cheryl Raintree in “In Search of April Raintree” by Beatrice Culletonhave
- Narrating Post/Communism: Colonial Discourse and Europe's Borderline Civilization (BASEES/Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies)
- The Poems of Shelley: Volume Three: 1819 - 1820: 3 (Longman Annotated English Poets)
- Joyce's Revenge: History, Politics, and Aesthetics in Ulysses: History, Politics, and Aesthetics in "Ulysses"
- The Mysteries of the Cities: Urban Crime Fiction in the Nineteenth Century
Additional info for A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Seed